Monday, October 02, 2006
And away we go!! I have a recipe here from the notoriously funny Bond baby!! But first, a couple things - why can't I use hyphens? What's the big deal? Am I missing something? And hey, Bob Seger!! Love him!! I have listened to his new CD, "Face the Promise" and there are a couple songs on there that are vintage Seger - I almost had the big "O" when I heard "Wreck This Heart". If you don't want to buy the album but you are a fan of Seger's, you must at least download that song! Some of the sings are countryish with Kid Rock and Patty Loveless. You also get a DVD with the CD that has an interview with Seger, videos and 2 live performances.
Did y'all know that Willie Nelson was caught with a bag of marijuana last week? In a public statement he said, "It's a good thing I had a bag of Marijuana instead of a bag of spinach. I'd be dead by now." Gotta love Willie!! (thanks Turn)
Okay, on with the recipe - this is what Bond has to say about it:
OK... as you can see..this one was not from a cookbook of mine.. this is a brand new addition to my repitua...um repituaw... um .. to the things I cook!
FANCY PHILLY CHEESE STEAK
This was a total experiment based upon what was available to me, without any money to go buy things at the store. I went through freezer and refrigerator, saw what I had and formulated the following.
The name comes from when I served it; Matt said, "Hey dad, it is like a cheese steak." I had not even considered that until he mentioned it.
To make 4 servings: (To make for more, just figure 1/4lb steak per person and increase veggies and dough per information below).
1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or Texas 1015 - whichever is in season)
2 medium sweet red peppers
1 medium carrot (not necessary, but the sweetness of the carrot adds a new flavor)
2 cloves garlic
8 oz. White mushrooms (or use whatever variety tickles your fancy)
4 strips thick cut bacon
1 lb sirloin steak
1 or 2 packages frozen Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
Egg wash (one egg and 1/4-cup water whisked together)
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (or any other cheese of your liking, shredded)
Slice onions about 1/8"
Remove seeds and ribs and slice red peppers
Cut carrot into thin slices on a bias
Mince garlic
Slice mushrooms thick
Following the directions on the Puff Pastry Sheets package, defrost.
Using a 12" frying pan, preheat pan, then add vegetable oil. Let oil get hot.
Add onion, peppers, carrot and garlic and sauté vegetables slowly until they are softened.
Add mushrooms and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
Transfer to a strainer set over a bowl to catch all the oil.
Using a grill pan or cast-iron skillet, cook bacon crisp and set aside.
If people eat their steaks at different doneness, cut into 1/4 lb. Portions.
In the same pan as you cooked the bacon, quickly brown both sides of the sirloin and set aside under a foil tent. Do not cook all the way to doneness as this finishes in the oven.
Let vegetables and meat cool completely.
When meat is cooled, slice THIN on a bias and crumble bacon.
The Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets comes packed with with two sheets. Each sheet is creased into thirds. When defrosted, you can unroll the sheet and you will see the creases.
Now, here is where you need to make a decision.
For thinner, crisper pastry, use one section per person.
If you want thicker pastry, figure two sections per person.
Whatever you do not use, can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrozen.
If using one section per person, take a section onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 1/4" thickness.
THIN PASTRY: once rolled out, lay out 1/4lb of steak onto dough nearer the side facing you. Cover with vegetables and then sprinkle with bacon and cover with cheese.
In this version, do not overload with cheese to avoid leakage.
Brush outer edges with egg wash and take edge furthest from you and fold over to edge closest to you.
Crimp edges and place on a pre-greased cookie sheet.
Brush top with egg wash.
Continue until all are done.
THICK PASTRY: Lay out one section on lightly floured surface and cover the center with steak, vegetables, bacon and cheese.
Brush edges with egg wash and then brush second section with egg wash and lay second section on to, crimp edges and lay in pre-greased cookie sheet.
Brush top with egg wash.
With this one, you can use more cheese.
Either way, Bake in pre-heated 400 degree oven ABOUT 20-25 minutes.
Watch them in the oven and when dough is nicely browned, remove.
Let sit for 5 minutes and serve with a nice Garden Salad.
You could also do this and when done, cut into quarters and serve as appetizers.
MANGIA!!!!!
Bond, if it has cheese in it I'm happy! Amy agrees with me, we've talked about this!! LOL!! Now peeps, ya best make this recipe and let Bond know that it's awesome cause:
Bond is a mafia memba it's true
He sticks to da mob like a glue.
Don't ya make him too mad
Or you'll end up real sad.
It'll be cement shoes for you !!
-Duff
LMAO!! Just kidding sweetie!! Thanks for the recipe! hugs, smooches and gropes to all!!
Did y'all know that Willie Nelson was caught with a bag of marijuana last week? In a public statement he said, "It's a good thing I had a bag of Marijuana instead of a bag of spinach. I'd be dead by now." Gotta love Willie!! (thanks Turn)
Okay, on with the recipe - this is what Bond has to say about it:
OK... as you can see..this one was not from a cookbook of mine.. this is a brand new addition to my repitua...um repituaw... um .. to the things I cook!
FANCY PHILLY CHEESE STEAK
This was a total experiment based upon what was available to me, without any money to go buy things at the store. I went through freezer and refrigerator, saw what I had and formulated the following.
The name comes from when I served it; Matt said, "Hey dad, it is like a cheese steak." I had not even considered that until he mentioned it.
To make 4 servings: (To make for more, just figure 1/4lb steak per person and increase veggies and dough per information below).
1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or Texas 1015 - whichever is in season)
2 medium sweet red peppers
1 medium carrot (not necessary, but the sweetness of the carrot adds a new flavor)
2 cloves garlic
8 oz. White mushrooms (or use whatever variety tickles your fancy)
4 strips thick cut bacon
1 lb sirloin steak
1 or 2 packages frozen Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
Egg wash (one egg and 1/4-cup water whisked together)
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (or any other cheese of your liking, shredded)
Slice onions about 1/8"
Remove seeds and ribs and slice red peppers
Cut carrot into thin slices on a bias
Mince garlic
Slice mushrooms thick
Following the directions on the Puff Pastry Sheets package, defrost.
Using a 12" frying pan, preheat pan, then add vegetable oil. Let oil get hot.
Add onion, peppers, carrot and garlic and sauté vegetables slowly until they are softened.
Add mushrooms and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
Transfer to a strainer set over a bowl to catch all the oil.
Using a grill pan or cast-iron skillet, cook bacon crisp and set aside.
If people eat their steaks at different doneness, cut into 1/4 lb. Portions.
In the same pan as you cooked the bacon, quickly brown both sides of the sirloin and set aside under a foil tent. Do not cook all the way to doneness as this finishes in the oven.
Let vegetables and meat cool completely.
When meat is cooled, slice THIN on a bias and crumble bacon.
The Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets comes packed with with two sheets. Each sheet is creased into thirds. When defrosted, you can unroll the sheet and you will see the creases.
Now, here is where you need to make a decision.
For thinner, crisper pastry, use one section per person.
If you want thicker pastry, figure two sections per person.
Whatever you do not use, can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrozen.
If using one section per person, take a section onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 1/4" thickness.
THIN PASTRY: once rolled out, lay out 1/4lb of steak onto dough nearer the side facing you. Cover with vegetables and then sprinkle with bacon and cover with cheese.
In this version, do not overload with cheese to avoid leakage.
Brush outer edges with egg wash and take edge furthest from you and fold over to edge closest to you.
Crimp edges and place on a pre-greased cookie sheet.
Brush top with egg wash.
Continue until all are done.
THICK PASTRY: Lay out one section on lightly floured surface and cover the center with steak, vegetables, bacon and cheese.
Brush edges with egg wash and then brush second section with egg wash and lay second section on to, crimp edges and lay in pre-greased cookie sheet.
Brush top with egg wash.
With this one, you can use more cheese.
Either way, Bake in pre-heated 400 degree oven ABOUT 20-25 minutes.
Watch them in the oven and when dough is nicely browned, remove.
Let sit for 5 minutes and serve with a nice Garden Salad.
You could also do this and when done, cut into quarters and serve as appetizers.
MANGIA!!!!!
Bond, if it has cheese in it I'm happy! Amy agrees with me, we've talked about this!! LOL!! Now peeps, ya best make this recipe and let Bond know that it's awesome cause:
Bond is a mafia memba it's true
He sticks to da mob like a glue.
Don't ya make him too mad
Or you'll end up real sad.
It'll be cement shoes for you !!
-Duff
LMAO!! Just kidding sweetie!! Thanks for the recipe! hugs, smooches and gropes to all!!
Comments:
<< Home
there is no such thing as the Mafia... there is only a loose associate of businessmen all working together toward a common goal...
so there
so there
Wooooooo .....Sounds Yummy....
I will try and make it sometime. However, I'm not one for cooking or baking from total scratch.
Mafia... Bond... Bruno.. Businessmen... Ummmm... I think we have a few of those down here too... ;-)
I will try and make it sometime. However, I'm not one for cooking or baking from total scratch.
Mafia... Bond... Bruno.. Businessmen... Ummmm... I think we have a few of those down here too... ;-)
Bond is a "businessman" it's true
He sticks to da "business" like a glue.
Don't ya make him too mad
Or you'll end up real sad.
It'll be concrete guccis for you !!
-Duff
He sticks to da "business" like a glue.
Don't ya make him too mad
Or you'll end up real sad.
It'll be concrete guccis for you !!
-Duff
Mary.. I agree with you on the cheese issue...
Um Boss, I mean Bond, do you give tutorials?
Hey Bruno, call the Salvatore Brothers and tell em to bring the cement mixer... we got work to do..
Yeah, somebody named Duff.. hey that rhymes with snuff.. hehe
Um Boss, I mean Bond, do you give tutorials?
Hey Bruno, call the Salvatore Brothers and tell em to bring the cement mixer... we got work to do..
Yeah, somebody named Duff.. hey that rhymes with snuff.. hehe
Wow, when Bond said he cooks, that's not exactly what I had pictured ... lol. Sounds yummy, though. Now, what's a philly steak?
great! hyphens/dashes aren't a sign of idiocy...thank goodness!! now how about my ........'s?? just checking!!
Coco! Phylly cheese steak is a very very thin peice of steak on a grinder roll with cheese, onions and usually peppers! yummy! oh wait, were you kidding??!!
Post a Comment
Coco! Phylly cheese steak is a very very thin peice of steak on a grinder roll with cheese, onions and usually peppers! yummy! oh wait, were you kidding??!!
<< Home

